Welcome to my website.
My name is Owen Spencer-Thomas, and I am a journalist, writer/broadcaster, speech trainer and media consultant. I am very fortunate to enjoy a stimulating profession, which allows me to travel and meet all sorts of interesting people. Here is some background information.
Much of my career has been spent in television. I have spent over three decades as a news journalist, first working for the BBC and later Anglia Television.
11 years ago, I became the media spokesperson for the Diocese of Ely. Since moving on in March 2011, I have been working as a freelance broadcaster, trainer and consultant.
- I have compiled a range of Media Tips for those who want to know more about working with the media.
- There's an article on News Values, the factors that contribute to the degree of interest a news story stimulates and to its importance.
- And I also have several pages with tips for Taking Photos for the publication in the media.
- You can find more personal information in the Biography section.
- You can view my Photo Gallery which is divided into categories of Personal Gallery and Professional Gallery interest. In 2010, my daughter and I celebrated 100 years between us. This gallery contains hundreds of pictures from this memorable occasion.
This month's silly story
Some news stories are guaranteed to generate humour. They get the world’s comedians honing up their witty talents, and an avalanche of one-liners appear in social media such as Twitter, Facebook and blogs.
They may be grave and serious matters, or simply trivia, but somewhere embedded in the story lies someone’s silliness.
This year’s top prize must go to the food chain saga. So keep an eye on your burgers, and spend an afternoon at Newmarket Races.
My website was first published in 1999. Since then I have had tens of thousands of visitors from around the world: